Last Update Approved: August 16, 2013
Edited/Revised: July 8, 2015
Revised Effective: August 7, 2015
Employees traveling overnight may be paid a per diem amount designed to cover the cost of meals (including taxes and tips), based on the number of meals per day for which the employee is eligible. For overnight trips, travelers will receive 75% of allowable per diem on day of departure and return. For example on your first day of travel an employee has meals that consist of breakfast/lunch/dinner then the per diem allowance will be ($28.00 x 75%) = $21.00 Employees will no longer be reimbursed at a 100% per diem for the first and last day of travel.
For non-overnight trips, travelers will receive 75% of the allowable per diem if travel is more than 50 miles from home, and if they are away for more than (12) hours.
Employees should review information regarding the following subjects relative to meals in Section 4.4 of the USG Business Procedures Manual.
- Per Diem Allowance for Meals Associated with Overnight Travel Within Georgia
- Per Diem Allowance for Meals Associated with Overnight Travel Within High-Cost Areas in Georgia
- Per Diem Allowance for Meals Associated with Overnight Travel Outside of Georgia
- Per Diem Allowance for Meals Not Associated with Overnight Travel
- Meal Expenses Incurred While Taking Leave